Skip to main content

Facebook suffers third major global outage this year, apologises for 'inconvenience'

Olivia Carville, Bloomberg
 
Facebook suffered its third major outage this year, with users across the world unable to access the social network or its suite of services such as Facebook Messenger, Instagram and WhatsApp.
In late January, the Instagram app crashed, and WhatsApp users worldwide were also unable to send or receive messages.

Last month, Facebook faced its most widespread and persistent system outage, with users unable to access the social network for more than 12 hours.

The outages add to the woes of Facebook, already embattled by revelations it has failed to safeguard user data or stanch the spread of hate speech, fake news and other forms of disinformation.
In South Africa, the hashtags #whatsappdown, #instagramdown and #facebookdown were all trending in South Africa by early afternoon as well as globally.

In terms of Facebook and Instagram, the pages failed to load or refresh while on WhatsApp, messages were either delayed or not sent at all.

In South Africa, the service was restored just after 16:00 on Sunday.
Downdetector, a site that tracks website outages, reported problems with Facebook starting as early as 6:30 Sunday morning in New York. The issues affected users in Asia, Europe and the US, according to the site.

The social media networks were back up and running in New York by 09.30, but irate users turned to Twitter to vent during the blackout. “Ok... who broke #Facebook?” Dean Miller tweeted from New York.

“What is wrong with Facebook,” Kularakkhita asked in a tweet from Thailand. “All Facebook services are down,” said Daniel Chernenkov in Israel. Facebook has since issued a brief statement on the outage, apologising for the "inconvenience".

“Earlier today, some people may have experienced trouble connecting to the family of apps. The issue has since been resolved; we're sorry for any inconvenience,” a spokesperson said.
Facebook did not respond to a Fin24 query about what had prompted the outage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Facts The Economist Got Them Wrong on Magufuli

DAR ES SALAAM, East Africa:  By Dr. Hernan Louise Verhofstadt* “ A BIT like President Donald Trump, Tanzania’s president, John Magufuli, likes to fire employees on television. In November Mr. Magufuli used a live broadcast from a small town in the north of the country summarily to dismiss two officials,” this is an extract from a recent online article I came across from the newspaper that I admired when I was growing up in Europe back in 1990’s; the Economist . Before I venture into other serious issues, the excerpts above contains gross factual errors; my own fact-check indicates that in the named public rally during the opening of Kagera Airport, there was no summary dismissal of the two officials instantly on television, as alleged. Instead, the two, one District Executive Directors for Bukoba Urban and another for Rural were relieved their duties later through a press release from President’s Office.   This is my prima impressio reading the Econom...

Tundu Lissu, a despot in the shadow?

By Masinde Masondore, Montreal, Canada, 01-04-2018:  WHEN a learned politician brags of publicly embarrassing his President and counts it an honor while deliberately sabotages the nation's economic interests is a misfit in African traditions. 'Africans have had own ways of criticising the King, the way it happened in ancient Israel, however, in any case, the nation's interests were set apart from any sabotage," Gilbert Moshi. Tindu Lissu, a controversial Tanzanian opposition politician would be leaning on a wrong wall. He chose a road less travelled by learned individuals who mostly were rational. The road he walks and the philosophy he exhibit, only label him a tyranny of darkness. Any democratic leader, whether in opposition or ruling party ought to be totally enveloped in wisdom which prevents monumental errors of judgment. Lissu does not exhibit a minute of it. One of the pillars of customer-focused policies in the business world i...

Magufuli Honours Promise As Dangote Factory Gets Direct Gas Supply

Production on of affordable cement now to start next month  By Correspondents Dar and Nairobi, 15:16 GMT Under his famed “delivery per se” policy, the government of Tanzania under President John Pombe Magufuli has finally confirmed that it has completed its phase mission of connecting Dangote cement plant in Mtwara, in the southern region of Tanzania, to the natural gas to generate the needed 35MW. Mr. Aliko Dangote in a tete a tete with President Magufuli at the inaugaration of the plant last year. Speaking at the end of his tour of the factory, the Energy Minister Dr. Medard Kalemani said the government was committed to supply the natural gas resource to enable Dangote cement plant access affordable energy for smooth cement production. The factory is one of the biggest cement plants in Southern Africa providing affordable cement to locals and countries in the vicinity. “I am telling you TPDC, if the factory delays to complete its i...